I needed to make a vegetarian main course for my birthday dinner, so I adapted a recipe I found in a cookbook.
Butternut squash with spinach and ricotta ravioli – serves 10-12
- Five packets (1.5 kg) spinach and ricotta ravioli
- 1 large or 2 medium butternut squash
- Olive oil
- 300ml cream
- 150ml crème fraiche
- 1 large or 2 medium leeks
- Peel the butternut squash, halve and remove the seeds. Cut each half into two lengthways, and slice the pieces in slices about 0.5 cm thick.
- Slice the leeks finely.
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan, and fry the butternut squash in batches until just browned and tender. If a fork pushes in with little resistance, it is ready. Keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Fry the leeks in the same frying pan for 5-10 minutes until soft. Add the cream and crème fraiche and a splash of water to the pan. Bring to the boil and then cook for 4-5 minutes until reduced. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the ravioli according to the packet instructions.
- To serve, spoon a layer of ravioli into a large serving dish, followed by a layer of butternut squash. Repeat, then top with the cream sauce.
I really enjoyed the autumnal flavours. The cream and leek sauce complemented the butternut squash beautifully. And, it was so quick and easy to make!